In this blog post, I will be talking about the extended project and how I made it. This is the first college project that I have had compleate freedom to do anything I want with it. I was limited by the time frame and budget or lack of but unlike “The Hello Project” and “The Scene” (previous short films I have made) I didn’t have a brief I had to base it around. This is my end result.

Click here if you want to download my portfolio word document which goes into more detail about this project.

The narrative idea started on a forum and then evolved through YouTube videos and surveys into what you just saw. I included techniques such as the rule of thirds, depth of field, natural framing, (camera) movement etc. The paperwork was by far the most challenging part of the project as there was a lot of it and I generally don’t find that stuff too interesting. But the project didn’t come without its problems. Overall I had 3 main problems. The first problem and the biggest can be found here. The second problem was due to everyone in class wanting to borrow equipment in the same week we were only allowed to borrow equipment for 1 full day. This meant that the 1 day was very rushed and didn’t allow for more than 2 or so takes. It wasn’t ideal. Due to this problem, I had to film some bits with my phone’s camera and I had to do the voice over with a livelier microphone. The third problem was that I was only given 1 battery for the camera. Although it started the day on full charge it discharged very quickly. It’s discharging rate was fast and its charging rate was slow. This meant we had to charge the battery 9 times throughout the day. This meant the 1 full day I had with the college equipment was reduced quite dramatically as we were waiting around for the battery to charge for most the day. What would be good is if the college had provided me with 2 batteries (or possibly 3 due to the quick discharge rate) so that a battery could be charging while the other one is being used in the camera. However, it did allow us to set up tripods and lights while waiting for the battery to charge so some of the charging time was used productively. In future, I will ask if I could borrow 2 camera batteries to avoid this occurring again.

I will kindly provide you with a few pictures of my production process.

PICTURE 1picture-2.jpg

I put a round camping light that I had laying around the house and I put it over the shotgun microphone which worked as a makeshift eye light.

PICTURE 3PICTURE 4PICTURE 5PICTURE 6

When the camera battery dies.

PICTURE 7

When doing the voice-over I made a version of the video with subtitles opposed to just reading it off the script. This is so I could get the tone and timings right. The tone and timings are dependant on what is going on on screen.

Over the past year, I have learned so much from my course. I noticed that this was my 70th post. In case you missed it my college timeline for the first two terms can be found here. This summarises the 2/3 terms this year.

Advertisements