I have been doing the “Hello Project” over the past 3 weeks and there is a lot I have learned from this project. It was the most interesting thing that I’v done on this coarse so far as it involved a lot of practical work. The main lesson that I took out of this project was that the pre-production planning is key. If everything is planned correctly, then when is comes to filming it, it should all go fairly smoothly. Although I managed to plan it well, I left the planning a bit too late and I ended up realizing how difficult it was. The end goal was to create a short film that would immerse the viewer in the story. This meant trying to keep the camera shot changes as smooth as possible so they sort of flowed into each other keeping the viewer as focused on the characters and story line as much as possible. I think although I made a few mistakes especially towards the end of the short film with not enough camera angles I think I managed to achieve my objective. I will try to learn as much from my mistakes as possible so that next time, I will be able to make a better clip.
Feedback – Bill Price
I posted the video on my Facebook page and asked for feedback on it and I received some rely helpful feedback from Bill Price. This is the first feedback I have got from my social media accounts (for more info about this go to goo.gl/0lzkLk). This is the facebookpst I put on my page.
This is Bills feedback
Using this feedback I will try to put actions in place to improve for next time. Bill made some good points about how the female character wouldn’t of been apologetic and how she probably would have looked up in the woods scene. In order to make sure this doesn’t happen next time I will do more planning before hand so I could avoid the things like the wood scene by making sure the the actors were far enough away that the female character couldn’t of know the male character was there. When filming on location there is lots you have to think about and it is easy to not pay enough attention to what is going on in front of the camera because you are thinking about things such as camera angles and background sound. This is why I think in order to make sure this doesn’t happen again it should be thought through thoroughly in pre-production. Along with bringing a storyboard on set I could also bring a list of notes to remind me of certain things like to make sure they are far enough apart to not notice each other. The effect I was trying to create using Semiology looked liked it worked well as Bill thought the black and white scenes “engaged the emotion of sadness visually”. It was also mentioned that the music ruined the emotion of relief and looking at it again I can see what he means. As it was meant to be a complete twist with a very different change of mood it was ruined by the early “happy” music. I realized that it would have left the viewer confused as they are hearing “happy” music when what they are seeing is still sad. This was my attempt at a “J Cut” but I have now found out that “J Cuts” do not work when hey are used in a tonality change or twist as it confuses the viewer. Looking back on it I also think the scene of the guy packing his bag could have been replace by another more purposeful scene . The scene of him packing his bag was meant to separate the two “Hello” scenes in order to make the audience think that time had gone past. While it met its purpose in separating the two “Hello” scenes it added nothing to the plot and it might confuse some people to why it is in there at all. Next time if I ever need to add a cutaway scene to show the passing of time I will make use of that scene and make sure it added to the plot.